Korea Heritage Journeys
Korean Ties- Our Flagship Program
June 27-July 10, 2015
Korean Ties Lite
June 27-July 7, 2015
KOREAN TIES HIGHLIGHTS –
Our Flagship Program
- Arrive in Seoul, where Ties staff will meet you and provide transportation to the hotel. Korean Ties families tend to stay in moderate to deluxe hotels, where after a day out experiencing many new tastes, smells, sights and sounds, families can relax.
- Gather for an orientation meeting, a chance to connect with the other families, and discuss the journey ahead.
- Explore Seoul, including Gyeongbok Palace, the Blue House, Chongyecheon Riverwalk, and Dongdaemun (Eastgate) Market where you will experience this traditional market, and, if you’d like, shop for a hanbok!
- Visit the Korean Folk Village, an interactive, open-air museum of folklore and customs, and Hwaseong Fort in Suwon.
- Enjoy time at the Korean social service agency your family worked with, Holt Children’s Services, Eastern Social Welfare Society (formerly Eastern Child Welfare Society), Social Welfare Society, and/or Korea Social Services.
- The Ties Program will assist with family requests and arrangements to meet foster mothers, caregivers, and orphanage staff, as well as visit significant places related to your adoption. Birth family searches and reunions are also sometimes a possibility, and the Ties Program will assist with this, too.
- An experience that is truly healing for both you, as visitors, and the women you will meet, is a visit at a maternity home where expectant women live as they explore the options for the future of their children. Here you will have the chance to meet and dialog.
- Drive through the countryside to Mt. Sorak National Park, where you’ll explore this beautiful park and ride a cable car to the highest peaks for breathtaking views.
- A relaxing ride from Seoul will lead you to Busan, the second largest city in South Korea and full working port city. While in Busan, you will tour the city, visit the colorful Jagalchi Fish Market, shop at the International Market, and visit at an orphanage to play with the babies and children there.
- With your hotel directly on the beach of Haeundae Bay, take time to enjoy the sun and sand, while sharing family time with Korean families from the area. Or, join other Korean Ties families for a day trip to Gyeongju (prior capital of the Silla dynasty and World Heritage site), famous for Tumuli Park, Bulguksa Temple and Sokkuram Grotto.
- Board the high-speed KTX train traveling through scenic hills, valleys and rice paddies on your way back to Seoul, with stops in Daegu and Daejeon on route for families with requests there.
- Fly to Jeju Island and explore the “Hawaii of Korea.”
- Each family will have the opportunity to visit with a Korean family in their home, a great “people experience,” making Korea feel more real and personal. To add to these “people experiences” you will also enjoy a school visit—making new friends and learning about school activities in Korea.
- All programs allow for “free” time so families can explore areas of special interest, shop, have additional contact with significant people, etc.
We have decided to discontinue Connections programs. Our goal in offering Connections was to provide a less expensive option for families. To accomplish that, families traveled with an in-country English speaking guide, but not with Ties staff. In our flagship Ties programs, groups travel with both a “logistical genius” and an adoption professional, so that families are really well supported on this important, identity-building journey. It is a “formula” that has served families well for nearly two decades!
But we knew we still needed an alternative. . .
KOREAN TIES LITE
So, we put our thinking caps on, and re-thought the options. As we move forward, many of our programs will be offered as traditional Ties Programs, and in some countries (Korea included), will include a Ties Lite option. It will give you all of the advantages of traveling with a Ties Program, but a shorter stay, lowering your costs. You will receive information on Korean Ties and Korean Ties Lite when you request information.
TIES JOURNEYS OF DISCOVERY-KOREA
Some countries will also be offered under our new option called Ties Journeys of Discovery. These journeys are being created for people who would like to take a fun, cultural, unique trip, but without an emphasis on adoption. Watch for information coming soon!
PRIVATE OR SEMI-PRIVATE TRAVEL
While we believe strongly in the support a group provides, we know there are times when individual family travel is a better fit. We are happy to work with individual families or small groups of families. Please email us your request.