Colombia Heritage Journeys
Colombian Ties-Our Flagship Program
Dates for 2025 coming soon
We invite you to complete our Colombia Ties Interest Survey, designed to learn about your interests and what families with Colombian adoptees would like to see as part of this program.
- Arrive in Bogotá, where Ties staff will meet you and provide transportation to the hotel. Colombia Ties families stay in first class to moderate, clean hotels, where after a day out experiencing many new tastes, smells, sights and sounds, families can relax.
- Gather for an orientation meeting, a chance to connect with the other families, and discuss the journey ahead.
- Hunt for bargains at the Flea Market in Usaquen, a popular Sunday destination for Bogota residents and visitors alike.
- Stroll through the cobblestone streets of La Candelaria, Bogota’s historic downtown area, ending in Simon Bolivar Square.
- Learn about culture and lifestyle from specially chosen guides who will be open to sharing
- Savor the sights and smells at Palquemado Market, Bogotá's indoor and outdoor food and flower market.
- Meet a local chef and learn how to make Colombian cuisine.
- Free time, Connect & Chat for adoptees, and Talk Time for parents throughout the trip.
For most families, Bogotá will be the jumping off point for the “Centerpiece of your Adoption Homeland Journey.”
- Visit your or your adoptee’s orphanage and meet caregivers.
- Visit places remembered from your previous journey to Colombia.
- If your adoption connections are elsewhere in Colombia such as Medellin, Cali, Barranquilla, The Ties Program will help you with the arrangements.
- Bask in the messages of the journey as The Ties Program oversees transportation, translation and logistics.
Afterward, rejoin other participants and continue on your journey.
- Go underground into the Salt Mine Cathedral in nearby Zipaquira.
- Next stop: Villa de Leyva, an enchanting mountain town. Admire white-washed colonial homes and people-watch as you relax on the main square.
- Learn the process of wool making at a local sheep farm.
- Meet a local potter in Raquira and create your own piece of pottery.
- Shop for pottery, hammocks, and baskets – Raquira’s shops overflow with goods to help you remember your journey to Colombia!
- Visit an organic farm in Bogotá Sabana and enjoy lunch with a local family.
- Attend a private dance class to learn a few Latin moves.
- Enjoy a festive farewell dinner at Andres Carne de Res where you’ll eat scrumptious Colombia empanadas and dance, if you’d like.
Ties Program Features
How to prepare, opportunities to process. YOUR NEED-TO-KNOW INFORMATION!
Possibilities for Adoption Visits
Connect with people and places related to your adoption. SEE WHAT'S POSSIBLE!
Flights, Connect & Chat, Staying Connected. LEARN MORE!
Need financial help? Or would you like to help an adoptee make this important journey? OPTIONS & IDEAS!
Read & Learn
Articles to help you on this journey of identity. DIVE DEEP INTO INFORMATION!