- Arrive in Bogotá, where Ties staff will meet you and provide transportation to the hotel. Colombia Ties families stay in first class to moderate, clean hotels, where after a day out experiencing many new tastes, smells, sights and sounds, families can relax.
- Gather for an orientation meeting, a chance to connect with the other families, and discuss the journey ahead.
- Hunt for bargains at the Flea Market in Usaquen, a popular Sunday destination for Bogota residents and visitors alike.
- Stroll through the cobblestone streets of La Candelaria, Bogota’s historic downtown area, ending in Simon Bolivar Square.
- Learn about culture and lifestyle from specially chosen guides who will be open to sharing
- Savor the sights and smells at Palquemado Market, Bogotá’s indoor and outdoor food and flower market.
- Meet a local chef and learn how to make Colombian cuisine.
- Free time, Connect & Chat for adoptees, and Talk Time for parents throughout the trip.
For most families, Bogotá will be the jumping off point for the “Centerpiece of your Adoption Homeland Journey.”
- Visit your or your adoptee’s orphanage and meet caregivers.
- Visit places remembered from your previous journey to Colombia.
- If your adoption connections are elsewhere in Colombia such as Medellin, Cali, Barranquilla, The Ties Program will help you with the arrangements.
- Bask in the messages of the journey as The Ties Program oversees transportation, translation and logistics.
Afterward, rejoin other participants and continue on your journey.
- Go underground into the Salt Mine Cathedral in nearby Zipaquira.
- Next stop: Villa de Leyva, an enchanting mountain town. Admire white-washed colonial homes and people-watch as you relax on the main square.
- Learn the process of wool making at a local sheep farm.
- Meet a local potter in Raquira and create your own piece of pottery.
- Shop for pottery, hammocks, and baskets – Raquira’s shops overflow with goods to help you remember your journey to Colombia!
- Visit an organic farm in Bogotá Sabana and enjoy lunch with a local family.
- Attend a private dance class to learn a few Latin moves.
- Enjoy a festive farewell dinner at Andres Carne de Res where you’ll eat scrumptious Colombia empanadas and dance, if you’d like.
Ties Program Features
How to prepare, opportunities to process. YOUR NEED-TO-KNOW INFORMATION!
Possibilities for Adoption Visits
Connect with people and places related to your adoption. SEE WHAT'S POSSIBLE!
Flights, Connect & Chat, Staying Connected. LEARN MORE!
Need financial help? Or would you like to help an adoptee make this important journey? OPTIONS & IDEAS!
Read & Learn
Articles to help you on this journey of identity. DIVE DEEP INTO INFORMATION!