- Arrive in Katmandu, where Ties staff will meet you and provide transportation to the hotel.
- Gather for an orientation meeting, a chance to connect with the other families, and discuss the journey ahead.
- Explore Katmandu, a city rich in history and culture.
- Spend time at Boudhanath Stupa, the center of Nepal’s Tibetan Buddhist culture.
- Learn about Tibetan drums, Himalayan healing bowls, butter lamps, and ceremonial horns.
- Visit the local markets, take in the aroma of fresh spices, do a little shopping for ingredients for our Nepalese cooking class.
- Stroll the streets of Patan, known as The City of Fine Arts.
- Learn about lifestyles and customs of Nepalese people, and how earthquakes have impacted daily life.
For most families, visiting people and places related to their child’s adoption will take place in or around Katmandu. These visits are often the centerpiece of the journey, and carry great importance. Here are things families frequently do during this time:
- Visit their child’s orphanage
- Meet caregivers and other significant people
- Visit places remembered from your previous journey to Nepal.
If your adoption connections are outside of Katmandu, we will work with you to get you where you need to be to make this trip your dream trip! Wherever this piece of your journey takes you, rest assured The Ties Program will assist with all the details, transportation, translators, accommodations, and permissions.
Nepal Ties families also travel out of the city to Chitwan National Park, arguably one of the best wildlife viewing parks in Asia.
In Chitwan, families will have the opportunity to:
- Take an elephant safari, where you’ll be on the lookout for the one-horned rhino, monkeys and even a Bengal tiger.
- Canoe on the Rapti River
- Visit a family home in a Tharu Village, that you will get to by ox cart
- Learn from park naturalists
- Take part in elephant bathing, weather permitting
- Enjoy beautifully quiet evenings in the hush of the jungle
Nepal Ties families say farewell, but not goodbye, in Katmandu. It is a journey that will continue long after your travel time comes to an end.
Ties Program Features
How to prepare, opportunities to process. YOUR NEED-TO-KNOW INFORMATION!
Possibilities for Adoption Visits
Connect with people and places related to your adoption. SEE WHAT'S POSSIBLE!
Flights, Connect & Chat, Staying Connected. LEARN MORE!
Need financial help? Or would you like to help an adoptee make this important journey? OPTIONS & IDEAS!
Created especially so that Ties participants can help in the communities they have visited. BE INSPIRED!
Read & Learn
Articles to help you on this journey of identity. DIVE DEEP INTO INFORMATION!