Ukraine Heritage Journeys
Ukraine Ties–Our Flagship Program
Interested? Contact us and let us know when you would like to visit!
“The end of all our exploring
will be to arrive where we started
and know the place for the first time.” T.S. Eliot
- Arrive in Kiev, where Ties staff will meet you and provide transportation to the hotel. Ukrainian Ties families stay in moderate, clean hotels, where after a day out experiencing many new tastes, smells, sights and sounds, families can relax.
- Gather for an orientation meeting, a chance to connect with the other families, and discuss the journey ahead.
- Tour Kiev, where you will stroll on vul Khreshchatyk, the city’s wide boulevard that becomes a pedestrian mall on the weekend, and observe everyday life while at the city’s most popular plaza, Maydan Nezalezhnosti.
- Learn about culture and lifestyle from specially chosen guides who will be open to sharing.
- Stand in awe of the mosaics and frescos inside St. Sophia’s Cathedral.
- Shop for typical Ukrainian crafts on St. Andrew’s Descent.
- Join a local family in Kiev for lunch in their home and a delicious glimpse into Ukrainian cuisine.
- Visit an SOS Children’s Village, where you will see children being cared for with dignity. Most SOS children LOVE to play soccer. Game on!
- Free time, Connect & Chat for adoptees, and Talk Time for parents throughout the trip.
For most families, Kiev will be the jumping off point for the “Centerpiece of your Adoption Homeland Journey” as they travel to their child’s region of birth.
- Travel arrangements and the services of a guide / translator will be arranged for by The Ties Program.
- Visit your child’s orphanage and meet caregivers.
- Visit places remembered from your previous journey to Ukraine.
- Bask in the messages of the journey as The Ties Program oversees transportation and translator arrangements.
When your travel resumes:
- Reunite with the group in Lviv where you’ll visit the UNESCO-listed Old Town through active riddles and fun challenges.
- Travel to Kolomyia in the Carpathian Mountains where you’ll attend an egg-painting master class.
- Participate in fun and games with youngsters at a local scouting camp.
- Experience Hutsul daily life with residents of Kosmach as they tend their sheep, make cheese, cook local dishes and create traditional crafts.
- Visit Schevechenko Open Air Museum and attend an exciting master class of traditional Cossack martial art – hopak.
- We end with a festive farewell dinner, providing closure to this life changing experience.
Ties Program Features
How to prepare, opportunities to process. YOUR NEED-TO-KNOW INFORMATION!
Possibilities for Adoption Visits
Connect with people and places related to your adoption. SEE WHAT'S POSSIBLE!
Flights, Connect & Chat, Staying Connected. LEARN MORE!
Need financial help? Or would you like to help an adoptee make this important journey? OPTIONS & IDEAS!
Created especially so that Ties participants can help in the communities they have visited. BE INSPIRED!
Read & Learn
Articles to help you on this journey of identity. DIVE DEEP INTO INFORMATION!