- Arrive in Guatemala City, where Ties staff will meet you and provide transportation to your hotel in Antigua. Guatemalan Ties families stay in first class to moderate, clean hotels, where after a day out experiencing many new tastes, smells, sights and sounds, families can relax.
- Gather for an orientation meeting, a chance to connect with the other families, and discuss the journey ahead.
- Meet foster mothers and other special people related to your adoption.
- Visit places remembered from your previous journey to Guatemala.
- Make tortillas with the children who attend the Niños con Bendición after school program.
- Bask in the messages of the journey as The Ties Program oversees transportation and translator arrangements.
- Next stop: Panajachel. Along the way stop at Reserva Atitlán where nature’s beauty surrounds you. You are invited to take in the beauty while sipping a cold drink. Or you may opt to zipline or hike.
- Option to travel to Chichicastenango to experience Guatemala’s largest market or kayak on beautiful Lake Atitlán.
- Set sail on beautiful Lake Atitlán, situated between Tolimán and San Pedro volcanoes.
- Learn about traditional Maya culture while visiting the coastal town of San Juan, where you’ll stop by an artist’s home for a painting class.
- Attend a weaving demonstration and open your eyes to how the colorful dyes are made from local plants.
- Visit the ruins of Iximche, a spiritual center for the Mayas.
- Continue to Antigua, the first capital of Guatemala! While strolling cobble-stoned streets, notice the churches, plazas, parks and volcanoes of the area.
Guatemalan Ties Lite families will enjoy a night in Antigua, then return to Guatemala City for their flight home. Guatemalan Ties families will continue to ….
- Tour an independent coffee plantation supported by De La Gente (a nonprofit fair trade organization) where you’ll meet local families and have lunch in the farmer’s home.
- Roast, grind, brew and taste the freshest cup of coffee you will ever taste.
- Witness the power of partnership plays while visiting the village of Yalu.
- Participate in the Bunk Bed Project, providing beds to families in need.
- Hike Pacaya Volcano.
- Enjoy a festive farewell dinner celebrating new friendships and reflecting on the journey you’ve shared.
Interested in visiting Tikal? We offer a 2 day extension.
Ties Program Features
How to prepare, opportunities to process. YOUR NEED-TO-KNOW INFORMATION!
Possibilities for Adoption Visits
Connect with people and places related to your adoption. SEE WHAT'S POSSIBLE!
Flights, Connect & Chat, Staying Connected. LEARN MORE!
Need financial help? Or would you like to help an adoptee make this important journey? OPTIONS & IDEAS!
Created especially so that Ties participants can help in the communities they have visited. BE INSPIRED!
Read & Learn
Articles to help you on this journey of identity. DIVE DEEP INTO INFORMATION!