Birth country travel is expensive, and many adoptees and families find themselves in need of financial help. Typically, it is an experience that involves the entire family. From airline tickets to hotels to arrangements for special visits with people and places important to your adoption, it all adds up!
When you register for a Ties Program, you will receive a payment schedule. If you register at least 10 months in advance, you will have the option of paying in increments without interest. Best to register during the early bird registration period.
The Ties Program has put together some ideas that hopefully will help you think about how to finance this importance piece in your life experience of adoption.
Many organizations provide funding to families who would like to adopt a child, but cannot afford the cost. Until now, there has been no funding for international adoptees who need to visit their birth country to feel whole, but cannot afford the expense.
Help is here!
Whether you are an adoptee in need of funds for this journey, or an individual, organization or corporation that would like to help GIFT become a meaningful option, please visit the GIFT website, and join GIFT on FACEBOOK.
Some adoptees have used online platforms to raise funds, and because they wanted their efforts to serve more than themselves, they structured it so that half of the funds they raised went to the Gift of Identity Fund. Others have set a goal, and if they go over the goal, donate the excess to GIFT. It’s a win-win.
Here is an example of one adoptee’s crowd funding page.
They used GiveForward.com and set their goal at $3600, and exceeded it! In talking with Wynnie and her mom, we learned that at first they were a little nervous about online fundraising. But after they got going with it, they said, “It turned out to be a lot of fun! We had a lot of people tell us it was like traveling vicariously.”
Wynnie’s family did a lot of their posting and pictures on Facebook, especially as they were traveling. But they could have posted directly to the GiveForward page. There are lots of ways to approach online fundraising.
Perhaps you want to give it a try. If you will be donating a portion to Gift of Identity for the greater good, please contact GIFT to make arrangements.
- Check your employer’s Human Resources Department for “Family Benefits”
- Contact your church or synagogue or other place of worship for support
- Home equity or personal loans
- Loans from Retirement Funds or Life Insurance
- Contact local ethnic organizations or churches to enquire about support—these organizations usually feel strongly about children connecting with their ethnic culture.
- Lilly Endowment Clergy Renewal Programs
- College Students—talk with your advisor about resources. We have occasionally had Ties participants who have been able to create an independent study class within the framework of their homeland journey.
- Personal budget—many people operate without one. Perhaps by outlining your personal priorities, and studying where your incoming dollars are spent, you will see things you can adjust to help save for this significant journey.
- Check out fund raising ideas online. There are zillions of them!