India Heritage Journeys
India Ties – Our Flagship Program
December 27, 2017-January 9, 2018
India Ties Lite
December 27, 2017-January 6, 2018
- Arrive in Delhi, where Ties staff will meet you and provide transportation to the hotel. India Ties families tend to stay in moderate to deluxe hotels, where after a day out experiencing many new tastes, smells, sights and sounds, travelers can relax and enjoy familiar comforts.
- Gather for an orientation meeting, a chance to connect with the other travelers, and discuss the journey ahead
- Explore Delhi, including the Lotus Temple and Jama Masjid, the largest active mosque in India, shop at the infamous Chor Bazar, ride a rickshaw through Old Delhi, and eat scrumptious Indian cuisine.
- Spend an afternoon at the SOS Children’s Village, where children live in permanent, supportive homes and are cared for with dignity and love. Maybe even share a pick-up game of soccer with the children there!
- Free time, Connect & Chat for adoptees, and Talk Time for parents throughout the trip.
- All participants will have the opportunity to visit with an Indian family in their home, a great “people experience,” making India feel more real and personal.
- Travel by train to Agra, visiting the Taj Mahal, Agra Fort, and Fatehpur Sikri. While in Agra, take some time to enjoy the local form of transportation, bicycle rickshaws!
For most travelers, Delhi will be the jumping off point for the “Centerpiece of your Adoption Heritage Journey” as you travel to the places in India where you or your children lived prior to adoption.
Some will visit Kolkata (formerly Calcutta), Pune, Mumbai, Cochin, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Nagpur, Bhubaneswar, Cuttack, Raipur, Ahmadabad or Kerala. If your adoption connection is elsewhere, we are happy to help with the arrangements. (Note:*IMH in Kolkata is closed; however, some IMH caregivers are still available to welcome families.)
While on adoption visits, participants will:
- Travel by airplane, train or car to their destination, and be met with driver and English speaking guide.
- Visit the adoptee’s orphanage, meet caregivers and massis, and re-connect with other people and places important to you.
- See sites in the area, according to your interests.
- Bask in the messages of the journey as Adoptive Family Travel oversees the travel details including transportation, translators, and hotel arrangements.
Participants opting to travel with India Ties Lite will return to Delhi to prepare for their return flight to the US while they savor the sounds, smells, tastes and memories of this beautiful country.
India Ties Flagship participants will reunite, then:
- Continue to the Pink City of Jaipur to explore through the colorful countryside and have the opportunity to experience that great Indian mode of transport, the elephant! Enjoy your pachyderm pal, as he carries you up the cobblestone walkway of the Amber Fort with its magnificent ramparts, gates and walls.
- While in Jaipur, you will visit a school to meet with the students, making new friends, and learn about the school system in India.
- Return to Delhi and enjoy free time for that last bit of shopping, or sightseeing before you depart for your flight home to the U.S.
- We end with a festive farewell lunch, providing closure to this life changing experience.
Having said that, we think it also important to note the downside, so you can make a thoughtful decision. Over time, we’ve noted that the bonds and connections created tend to be stronger for participants who participate in the full Ties flagship program. That stands to reason since a longer in-country stay provides more experiences and more time together–an important piece to consider.
You will receive information on India Ties and India Ties Lite when you request information.
Sometimes people are not big on the idea of traveling with a group because they are not “group travel people” or it conjures up images of little blue haired ladies. We are not “that” group! Ties groups are vibrant and fun. And because we stay on top of the details, you can be focused on your family and the experiences.
We invite you to read this article from a skeptical Ties mom: Group Travel or Not by Eva Ash, Clinical Psychologist, Adoptive Parent
Ties Program Features
How to prepare, opportunities to process. YOUR NEED-TO-KNOW INFORMATION!
Possibilities for Adoption Visits
Connect with people and places related to your adoption. SEE WHAT'S POSSIBLE!
Flights, Connect & Chat, Staying Connected. LEARN MORE!
Need financial help? Or would you like to help an adoptee make this important journey? OPTIONS & IDEAS!
Created especially so that Ties participants can help in the communities they have visited. BE INSPIRED!
Read & Learn
Articles to help you on this journey of identity. DIVE DEEP INTO INFORMATION!