- Arrive in Beijing, where Ties staff will meet you and provide transportation to the hotel. China Ties families stay in moderate to first class, clean hotels, where after a day out experiencing many new tastes, smells, sights and sounds, families can relax.
- Gather for an orientation meeting, a chance to connect with the other families, and discuss the journey ahead.
- Join students at a local middle school for some interactive cultural activities.
- Participate in a private Tai Chi class in front of the Temple of Heaven.
- Explore Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City, board a bicycle rickshaw for a ride through the old Hutongs and visit a local home, eat scrumptious Chinese cuisine, and yes, shop.
- Climb the Great Wall of China and take pictures at Beijing’s National Stadium, home of the 2008 Olympics.
- Visit CCCWA (China Center for Children’s Welfare and Adoption) where referral documents and post placement reports are maintained.
- Learn about culture and lifestyle from specially chosen guides who will be open to sharing.
- Consider seeing a performance of Chinese acrobats, wandering through the Wangfujing Night Market, visiting Beijing’s zoo and aquarium, or travel to Xi’an to see the Terra Cotta Warriors!
- Free time, Connect & Chat for adoptees, and Talk Time for parents throughout the trip.
For most families, Beijing will be the jumping off point for the “Centerpiece of your Adoption Homeland Journey” as they travel to their child’s province of birth.
While on adoption visits, families will:
- Travel by airplane, train or car to destination, and be met with driver and English speaking guide.
- Visit your child’s orphanage, meet caregivers and foster families, return to finding sites and re-connect with other people and places important to your family.
- See sites in province, according to your interests.
- Bask in the messages of the journey as Adoptive Family Travel oversees the travel details including transportation, translators, and hotel arrangements.
China Ties Lite families will depart from province for the United States or their home countries. China Ties families will reunite in Guilin following their provincial visit.
- Explore Reed Flute Cave and visit Elephant Hill.
- Cruise on the spectacular Li River.
- Experience the charm of the small fishing village of Yangshuo
- Cook some locally popular dishes at a culinary school set in the countryside.
- We end with a festive farewell lunch, providing closure to this life changing experience.
Cost is clearly the biggest advantage to a Lite option. Some people also are dealing with other complexities like limited vacation time or other responsibilities at home, and the Lite option makes travel possible.
Having said that, we think it also important to note the downside, so you can make a thoughtful decision. Over time, we’ve noted that the bonds and connections created tend to be stronger for participants who participate in the full Ties flagship program. That stands to reason since a longer in-country stay provides more experiences and more time together–an important piece to consider.
You will receive information on China Ties and China Ties Lite when you request information.
Should you prefer to travel as an individual family, or with another family you know, we are here to help. We will be happy to help with hotels, transportation, guides/translators, sightseeing, etc. We can also customize your important adoption related visits.
Sometimes people are not big on the idea of traveling with a group because they are not “group travel people” or it conjures up images of little blue haired ladies. We are not “that” group! Ties groups are vibrant and fun. And because we stay on top of the details, you can be focused on your family and the experiences.
We invite you to read this article from a skeptical Ties mom: Group Travel or Not by Eva Ash, Clinical Psychologist, Adoptive Parent
Ties Program Features
How to prepare, opportunities to process. YOUR NEED-TO-KNOW INFORMATION!
Possibilities for Adoption Visits
Connect with people and places related to your adoption. SEE WHAT'S POSSIBLE!
Flights, Connect & Chat, Staying Connected. LEARN MORE!
Need financial help? Or would you like to help an adoptee make this important journey? OPTIONS & IDEAS!
Created especially so that Ties participants can help in the communities they have visited. BE INSPIRED!
Read & Learn
Articles to help you on this journey of identity. DIVE DEEP INTO INFORMATION!