Guatemala Heritage Journeys
Guatemalan Ties–Our Flagship Program
July 9-20, 2017 (Space available for 1 family)
July 23-August 3, 2017 (Space available for 1 family)
July 8-19, 2018
Guatemalan Ties Lite
July 9-16, 2017 (Space available for 1 family)
July 23-30, 2017 (Space available for 1 family)
July 8-15, 2018
Ties Journeys of Discovery–Guatemala
Culture and Service Trips
- Arrive in Guatemala City, where Ties staff will meet you and provide transportation to the hotel. Guatemalan Ties families stay in first class to moderate, clean hotels, where after a day out experiencing many new tastes, smells, sights and sounds, families can relax.
- Gather for an orientation meeting, a chance to connect with the other families, and discuss the journey ahead.
- Tour Guatemala City, learn the story behind Mayan weavings and textiles at Museo Ixchel, view Guatemala from above when you visit The Relief Map, eat scrumptious Guatemalan cuisine, and yes, shop.
For most families, Guatemala City will be the jumping off point for the“Centerpiece of your Adoption Homeland Journey.”
- Meet foster mothers and other special people related to your adoption.
- Visit places remembered from your previous journey to Guatemala.
- If your adoption connections are elsewhere in Guatemala, The Ties Program will help with those arrangements too.
- Bask in the messages of the journey as The Ties Program oversees transportation and translator arrangements.
Then, rejoin the group.
- Next stop: Panajachel. Along the way stop at Reserva Atitlan where nature’s beauty surrounds you.
- Travel to Chichicastenango, also known as ChiChi, to explore the Catholic and Mayan spiritual traditions at Iglesia de Santo Tomás. Interact with local vendors as you shop at Guatemala’s largest market in ChiChi.
- Set sail on the beautiful Lake Atitlán, situated between Tolimán and San Pedro volcanoes.
- Learn about traditional Maya culture while visiting the coastal towns of Santiago Atitlan and San Juan, where you’ll stop by an artist’s home for a painting class.
- Visit the ruins of Iximche, a spiritual center for the Mayas.
- Continue to Antigua, the first capital of Guatemala! While strolling cobble-stoned streets, notice the churches, plazas, parks and volcanoes of the area.
Guatemalan Ties Lite families will enjoy a night in Antigua, then return to Guatemala City for their flight home. Guatemalan Ties families will continue to ….
- Tour small independent coffee plantations supported by De La Gente (a nonprofit fair trade organization) where you’ll meet local families and work side-by-side the coffee farmers.
- Witness the power partnership plays in sustainable change while visiting two Mayan villages involved with ALDEA.
- Play with the children attending Los Patojos, a unique after school project in Jocotenango.
- Enjoy a morning of fun with the children at Semillas de Amor before sharing a picnic lunch.
- Enjoy a festive farewell dinner celebrating new friendships and reflecting on the journey you’ve shared.
Interested in visiting Tikal? Join us for a 2 day extension.
Having said that, we think it also important to note the downside, so you can make a thoughtful decision. Over time, we’ve noted that the bonds and connections created tend to be stronger for participants who participate in the full Ties flagship program. That stands to reason since a longer in-country stay provides more experiences and more time together–an important piece to consider.
You will receive information on Guatemalan Ties and Guatemalan Ties Lite when you request information.
Sometimes people are not big on the idea of traveling with a group because they are not “group travel people” or it conjures up images of little blue haired ladies. We are not “that” group! Ties groups are vibrant and fun. And because we stay on top of the details, you can be focused on your family and the experiences.
We invite you to read this article from a skeptical Ties mom: Group Travel or Not by Eva Ash, Clinical Psychologist, Adoptive Parent
Ties Program Features
How to prepare, opportunities to process. YOUR NEED-TO-KNOW INFORMATION!
Possibilities for Adoption Visits
Connect with people and places related to your adoption. SEE WHAT'S POSSIBLE!
Flights, Connect & Chat, Staying Connected. LEARN MORE!
Need financial help? Or would you like to help an adoptee make this important journey? OPTIONS & IDEAS!
Created especially so that Ties participants can help in the communities they have visited. BE INSPIRED!
Read & Learn
Articles to help you on this journey of identity. DIVE DEEP INTO INFORMATION!