Bulgaria Heritage Journeys
Bulgarian Ties–Our Flagship Program
July 15-28, 2017
Bulgarian Ties LITE
July 15-24, 2017
“The end of all our exploring
will be to arrive where we started
and know the place for the first time.” T.S. Eliot
- Arrive in Sofia, where Ties staff will meet you and provide transportation to the hotel. Bulgarian Ties families stay in moderate, clean hotels, where after a day out experiencing many new tastes, smells, sights and sounds, families can relax.
- Gather for an orientation meeting, a chance to connect with the other families, and discuss the journey ahead.
- Tour Sofia, where you will visit the city centre to enjoy historical sights and bustling local markets, eat scrumptious Bulgarian cuisine, and yes, shop!
- Travel to nearby Rila Monastery for a day of gorgeous scenery of the Rila Mountains, listen to the Rilska and Drushlyavitsa rivers rush on either side of the monastery, and take in the architecture, paintings, and significance of the oldest monastery in Bulgaria.
- Next stop: Balkan Mountain Villages!
- Visit Bojentsi village to experience mansions from the Revival Period, and the Old Town of Tryavna where colorful traditions are alive and well including bagpipes and woodcarving, Etara for an open-air ethnographic museum showing traditional Bulgarian life, and overnight in Kmetovski, a magical mountain village!
- Walk through Arbanasi, seeing well preserved mansions and churches with traditional architecture, before heading to Veliko Tarnovo, the medieval capital of Bulgaria, where the old town and markets are filled with traditional artisans and crafts!
For most families, Veliko Tarnovo will be the jumping off point for the “Centerpiece of your Adoption Homeland Journey.” Families will visit places like Burgas, Buzovgrad, Teteven, Silistra, and Petrovo. If your adoption connections are elsewhere in Bulgaria, The Ties Program will help with those arrangements too.
While on adoption visits, families will:
- Travel with a car, driver and English-speaking guide.
- Visit orphanages, hospitals, caregivers, and other special people related to their adoption.
- Birth family meetings are frequently possible in Bulgaria.
Bulgarian Ties Lite families will return to Sofia and fly home after their adoption visits. Bulgarian Ties families will reunite in Varna with time to process adoption visits together.
- Once in Varna, on the Black Sea, take a tour of the ancient Stone Forest. Fun and relaxing activities abound in Varna – bring your swim suit and enjoy the pool, rent a motor boat or sail on a yacht, play tennis, take a horseback ride, go for a hike in the national park, or take in the newly built Aqua-park.
- Leaving Varna, visit the Rose City of Kazanluk, then travel to Stara Zagora where you will visit an “Equal Start” school in the Roma Community.
- Visit one of the most beautiful towns in Bulgaria–Plovdiv, where you can explore the Old Town and its Renaissance atmosphere. Finally, return to Sofia for your return trip home.
Having said that, we think it also important to note the downside, so you can make a thoughtful decision. Overtime, we’ve noted that the bonds and connections created tend to be stronger for participants who participate in the full Ties flagship program. That stands to reason since a longer in-country stay provides more experiences and more time together–an important piece to consider.
You will receive information on Bulgaria Ties and Bulgaria Ties Lite when you request information.
Sometimes people are not big on the idea of traveling with a group because they are not “group travel people” or it conjures up images of little blue haired ladies. We are not “that” group! Ties groups are vibrant and fun. And because we stay on top of the details, you can be focused on your family and the experiences.
We invite you to read this article from a skeptical Ties mom: Group Travel or Not by Eva Ash, Clinical Psychologist, Adoptive Parent
Ties Program Features
How to prepare, opportunities to process. YOUR NEED-TO-KNOW INFORMATION!
Possibilities for Adoption Visits
Connect with people and places related to your adoption. SEE WHAT'S POSSIBLE!
Flights, Connect & Chat, Staying Connected. LEARN MORE!
Need financial help? Or would you like to help an adoptee make this important journey? OPTIONS & IDEAS!
Created especially so that Ties participants can help in the communities they have visited. BE INSPIRED!
Read & Learn
Articles to help you on this journey of identity. DIVE DEEP INTO INFORMATION!